May 13, 2013

Natural Hair Care

Good Morning All!

Look at me doing better..

Well, I think I will be making a big announcement VERY SOON.. Has to do with my my professional ventures and side gigs.. STAY TUNED!! Just whisper a little prayer of positivity for me :-)

Anyway, as many of you know, I stopped putting that creamy crack in my hair April 2011, but continued to press my "wavy" hair to get that ripple curl out. I pressed my hair from April 2011 until April 2012.


Since I had some heat damage from pressing, I began to flexi rod with my natural hair stylist here to push my transition along from May 2012 to July 2012.



After becoming addicted to the flexi rod/flat twist styles and its' many variations, I threw some kinky twists in my hair in July 2012.


On September 26, 2012, I decided to cut all my hair that had seen ANY heat. I went to my hairdresser & I did the big chop (recorded it!)- I cut the last inch of perm ends, as well as the bulk of my hair which had been dyed and in flexi rods and/or braids/twists- I was left with 2.5/3 inches of hair all over!



Honestly, I was NOT happy at first. PERIOD! I regretted my decision immediately!
However, it took me two weeks to embrace my hair. My mom flat out said, "Your hair looks crazy! What did you do? I can't wait until your hair grows back!" A BIG reason I began to embrace my hair so quickly was because my boyfriend CONSTANTLY told me I was beautiful and my hair would grow back in no time. He loved my curls before I did, which in turn, gave me the self-confidence to fall in love with my curls and natural hair texture(s). Yes, I have about 3 hair textures: Front and right side is 3c/4a, back is 3c/4a and my middle (very SMALL patch) is 4b/4c and my upper left front side is 3a.



Today, I love my hair. I get so many compliments on the different things I try in my hair and how healthy and thick it is (Just look at my flatironed pic up top- BORING, LIMP AND DRAB!) I made it a point that I would NOT go and see my hair stylist here until I learned how my hair works and how to style it for myself. If I could style my hair straight and thin, I should be just as good to learn to style my hair curly and thick.

However, I want to talk about my hair regimen and how my hair has gotten so long and so thick.

Hair Do's
1- I DO ONLY drink water
2- I DO use raw honey as my Deep conditioner
3- I DO deep condition my hair weekly
4- I DO cowash weekly & clarify monthly
5- I DO finger detangle with lots of condish
6- I DO wear a lot of low maintenance styles
7- I DO seal when damp after applying leave in with EVOO (Extra virgin olive oil)
8- I DO use my homemade whipped shea butter for twists and after I spritz with waster/castor mix as a refresher (shea butter has EVOO, castor and peppermint EO- it's yummy-tastic)
9- I DO use all natural products and have become a mixologist
10- I DO watch my diet and workout 3-5 times a week

Hair Don'ts
1- I DON'T drink a lot of caffeine or eat a lot of fried foods
2- I DON'T use sulfates, parabens or heavy petrolatum
3- I DON'T buy a lot of products with ingredients I am unfamiliar with
4- I DON'T skip my DC
5- I DON'T use combs or brushes to style or detangle
6- I DON'T wear a lot of styles that pull and tear at my edges
7- I DON'T forget to use my refresher (water mainly) everyday
8- I DON'T use a LOT of store bought mixed products/brands
9- I DON'T layer more than 2 products in my hair (Leave in and shea butter)
10- I DON'T forget to use the LOC method (Liquid, Oil and Cream) on my hair for MAXIMUM moisture.

This has worked for me.. I have retained length, my hair is healthy, my scalp is healthy and my skin is blemish free.. I hope this helps :-)

Until next time....




2 comments:

  1. Your hair amazing,I can't get my hair to do anything right except for when I'm on the creamy crack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have aways told you that I love your hair. Even more so now. Btw I haven't worn weave in over a year!

    ReplyDelete