March 9, 2012

REVIEW - Jill Scott: The Light of The Sun

Good Morning,

Last night, I fixed me a cup of peppermint tea with honey and sugar. I had some shortbread cookies on deck with my fleece blanket. I slept soooo goood! Ooooohh wee honey child! I woke up feeling refreshed and better!! Maybe that was a lack of sleep thing? SMDH But, the pain in my rib cage is still there. Nothing is ever perfect though, right?

Today, as promised, I decided to do a music review on Jill Scott's "The Light of the Sun"

Jill Scott is the epitome of neo-soul and real sangin'! She is a Philly native (like my dad and his family) and she sings from her soul. This album makes me be glad to be natural (chemical free) and glad to be a woman.

Track 1 is BLESSED. And I love this song. It's like a peppermint after a meal: Simply refreshing. Jill croons and freestyles in a stoccato-type voice about why she is so very blessed on any given ("Woke up in the morning, feelin' fresh to def, I'm so blessed, yea-yes!")

 Track 2 is SO IN LOVE featuring Anthony Hamilton. Two of my all time fave neo-soul artists on one song is too much for the ordinary person to handle, but this song is like hot caramel on ice cream in the summertime. Epitome of Grown and Sexy.

Track 3 is SHAME featuring Eve. Yes, I typed that write Eve. Love it.

Track 4 is All Cried Out featuring Doug E. Fresh. Jill Scott croons and freestyles over Doug E. Fresh's beatboxing and a piano. Yes, odd, but SWEET!

Track 5 is Le BOOM Vent Suite. LOVE IT! This is why Jill is MY JILL- Jilly from Philly. She spends the first half of the song singing an uptempo cut, then slows it down and makes it a different song, a ballad. LOVE THIS, LOVE THIS, FREAKING LOVE THIS!

Track 6 is SO GONE featuring Paul Wall. The reason I bought the album because I could not get this song out of my head but we won't get into that. lol Check out the song and tell me this has not been you.

Track 7 is HEAR MY CALL. Very emotional; shows great depth to her voice and range. Her voice is so pure on this song.

Track 8 is SOME OTHER TIME. Everybody has been here before. Self-explanatory.

Track 9 is MAKING YOU WAIT. This is a good girl anthem (yes, good girls still exist and we didn't have an anthem!) Jill croons about making you wait until she knows that you're worthy.... at least until the 5th date lol.

Track 10 is UNTIL THEN (I IMAGINE). Good track. Good song. Good job my Jilly from Philly.

Track 11 is MISSING YOU. Geez this song is COLD BLOODED in a good way.

Track 12 is WHEN I WAKE UP. Love this song too..... It's just refreshing.

Track 13 is WOMANIFESTO. Another reason to love my Jilly: Her spoken word skills. This poem is HOT.. Check it out.

Track 14 is ROLLING HILLS. LOVE THIS SONG! It's message, the lyrics, the content..... Women, we got to realize we are all treasures.

This album was awesome. I give it an A++ and if you don't have it, RUN and find it. I went to 7 (yes, SEVEN) stores before I actually found this gem! And when I got it, it was the ONLY copy left.

GOOD JOB JILLY!

Have you checked this album out? Do you agree? Do you like it? What is in your musical rotation as of lately?

UNTIL NEXT TIME....

No comments:

Post a Comment