March 14, 2012

March 14, 2001 - 11 years later

Good Morning All!

I need to work on time management, but that has absolutely NOTHING to do with my post. I want to take the time to say THANK YOU to everyone who reads this blog everyday, who supports me and this blog, as well as the people that do not know me (including the people that could care less about me) but still faithfully read the blog. No, that was not a dig towards anybody (gotta issue disclaimers ever since the first blog post which was muy controversial (http://realrawuncuttruth.blogspot.com/2009/03/march-2-2009-confused.html) <--- CLICK HERE if you would like to see what I mean.

After that blog post, I got a lot of texts about "where you talking about me? Is that about me?" Whoa hoes! lol Anybody that knows me knows that I am direct.....

Anyway, after I say all that SMH, this blog is about my Father, Joe Louis Patton. If you have seen me tweeting #3.14.01, it relates to my dad. He died today 11 years ago and sometimes I still cry. I actually have randomly been crying late at night because I still hear his voice clear as day in my head. Sometimes, I do feel his spirit, especially around his birthday (near Thanksgiving), around my birthday and around the date he died.

Maybe that's why when I was watching the OWN Interview with Whitney Houston's family and daughter, I felt it was totally invasive and I was participating in the disrespect by tuning in. Honestly, I felt my dad's spirit the whole night after watching that interview. I could not go to sleep and the tears were just coming down. I can not explain why though. Maybe because I could feel Bobbi's pain. No, she was not breaking down and crying, cooning it up for TV, but at some point, you become numb and are all cried out at that point.

I feel like I should be all cried out, and sometimes I am, but other times, it feels as real and as fresh as March 14, 2001.

My dad died due to kidney failure. My stepmother found him in their bed gasping for her and called 911, who took forever to come. She called my mom as soon as they pronounced him dead, which was 9am. My mom did not tell me until 8pm that evening.

My dad lived in Philly, but I spoke to him everyday. It's crazy because he taught me a lot. And I didn't realize it so much 11 years ago, but me and him are so much alike. People that know my father and has met my dad and mom, know that I look more like him. And I have his drive, ambition and independence.

Today is always a somber day for me because I always wonder what he'd be like today, what my situation would be, if I would have made the same collegiate choices, would I be married, would I have children, etc... if my father were still alive.

Today is a day of reflection. 11 years ago, my life changed forever.

Today you should sit back and be thankful for your many blessings. God did not have to wake you up this morning. HE did not have to bless you with your home, your job or your mode of transportation. You are healthy, you are blessed, you are a child of God and you are LOVED. However "messed up" you feel your situation, it could ALWAYS be worse. So, watch that complaining. Life and death is in the power of the tongue.

Tell somebody you love them today. Pray for somebody today. Smile today, even if you feel you have nothing to smile about.

Life is not promised, just like tomorrow is not a guarantee.

UNTIL NEXT TIME....

No comments:

Post a Comment