March 13, 2012

Whitney Houston's Family Interview on OWN

Good Morning Guys!

Hope all is well.. You will all be glad to know I am feeling much better and actually getting some riggity rest.. Yayyy! lol

I just actually got the chance to watch Oprah interviewing Pat and Gary Houston, as well Bobbi Kristina Brown.

This interview was deep! Very intense and emotional.

 A bit of me felt invasive watching the interview because it felt so callous that it was done so soon after Whitney's death (Cissy Houston declined to join the interview at the time.)

However, I will say that Bobbi Kristina was VERY eloquent and articulate, much more so than I actually gave her credit for. She stated that the world "knew nothing about her mom, now in the light she saw her in." Which I will agree with. We view our moms as invincible protectors and providers, especially in the African American community. Mothers do it ALL, whether they are single mothers or not.

Also, I will say that Pat Houston (Whitney's sister in law) has THEE most soothing voice. It kept my attention but I could listen to her talk all day. She was very earnest, emotional and passionate when speaking on Whitney.

I'm glad Pat did not condemn Bobby because he is hurting too. He is not the devil, like people say he is. He is a flawed man, like we all are. I really hope Bobbi Kristina reconnects with her father soon and does not hold grudges because there is NOTHING like a Father's Love :-D

When Gary Houston started speaking, I was glad that he did not condemn Bobby either. As Whitney's older brother, his role was to protect her baby sister and I'm sure that this has been surreal to him. When he was signing, it was surreal because I could hear "Nippy" all up and through his vocals and when he broke down, it got too real to me.

I know that I did not know Whitney Houston at all. I did know her music. I do identify Whitney Houston's music with my father, whom I lost almost 11 years ago (He died on March 14, 2001.) When I hear old school Whitney, it brings me back to a place when I was young, carefree and my Dad was living (I will save this post for tomorrow....)

I pray for their family every night because losing a parent is something that you ALWAYS grieve. There is no replacement. No loss compares to this, especially when it is out of nowhere without warning. It's been 11 years for me losing my dad and I'm still grieving.

UNTIL NEXT TIME.....

No comments:

Post a Comment