January 4, 2012

Single Motherhood

Good Morning to all of you out there!

First off, I want to send a big thank you to all of the people who came, viewed and read my blog yesterday. We got 105 visits yesterday.. WHOO HOO!!!!!!!! *e-tootsie rolls*

I'm at work today and I feel a wee bit under the weather. When I woke up, I was feeling fine. By the time I got dressed, I had a wee bit of nausea. By the time I got to work and sat at my desk, I was running out of my office to vomit.

When I came out, one of the managers asked me was I pregnant. *insert evil side eye to the miggity max*

I turned around and said, "Not unless Jesus himself deemed it appropriate!!" and I walked away.

After I hurled my life away, I felt a lot better. A little weak and dizzy, but better. It felt like I probably had eaten something bad, but who knows?

Anyhow, now people are sidestepping past my office and whispering to each other.. Childish.. Or as the French would say "Chi-la-dee-shay" lol

This kind of brings to want to write about my next proposed topic: Single Motherhood

Not certain why somebody would want my opinion on Single Motherhood, being that I am just single and never been anybody's momma lol But here goes nothing..... *drumroll please*

I think Single Mothers (the good ones anyway) are the undercover superheroes of our generation. They are looked down upon and frowned upon, however, these are the women that wake up, cook breakfast, clean the kitchen, take the kids to school, go to work 40+ hours a week to provide for their child(ren).. After working 8+ hours a day, they pick their kids up, take them home, cook dinner, do homework, give baths, do hair, dry tears, administer butt kickings/timeouts, clean the kitchen, load the dishwasher, load the washer, iron clothes, fold clothes, etc.. just to wake up and do it all again with no help (most often) from the male specimen who offered up his chromosomes.

Hats off to you sistas! (and sisters!)

Sidenote: {If you do not know the difference between a sista and a sister, then watch the "Lynn's Gotcha Day" episode on Girlfriends when Lynn's sister visits.. Toni's breaks it down as to whom is a sistahhhhh and a sisterrrrr) LOL JK, but the episode is PRETTY hilar and eye-opening.

Anywho, Single Motherhood (whether by choice or default) is unfair to everyone involved for obvious reasons:

1- The child(ren) are deprived of a father figure. For girls and boys, this can deal a heavy negative blow to the psychological development and have an adverse effect if the child(ren) does not understand "why Daddy is not around"
2- The mother is loaded down with not only being a good parent, but she must have a role of duality and be "good parents" by herself, which is downright stressful financially, emotionally and spiritually.

I do not fear a lot, but I do fear being somebody's "baby mama." Like, that reallllllyy scares me.. Honestly.. Anybody that realllly knows me, knows that about me *insert side eye to my "friends"*

Not saying that once I am married, divorce will be a non-factor, but I only want to get married once.. Kids will be something that we both decide we are ready for and our marriage/relationship is strong enough to handle kids.

But, they always say, "If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans...."

I'm sure God just bust a gut laughing at me..

Until next time, CIAO BABIES!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. You are correct Soror. Single motherhood (parenthood in case single fathers are reading this) is hard and they are secret super heroes. I too find it odd that someone asked you to speak about this topic but your insight is on point.I can't speak for anyone else but being someone who was fortunate enough to go from Baby Mama to Wifey status, I think being a single parent is hard because God didn't design it for one parent, but two. After having my first kid at age 20 and my second at age 28, I strongly feel like the Govt should implement a reproductive age limit..lol.. I know I am a better parent today than I was in 2002. I still wonder how the heck I made it through without medication..lol.. I thank God for grace and giving me another chance to not only mature but to experience a second child birth with a better man who loved me enough to marry me, the way God intended it to be. Still, there is a part of me that is emotionally stuck in the stress experienced as a single mom, even though that is no longer my reality. It makes me grateful yet I feel bad for those who were stuck for 20+ years as a single parent. I can say it was the most humbling experience of my life. Today I know that at age 20, I was dealing with post-par tum depression and a lot of self-esteem issues. I was a baby with a baby. It only makes me love Jesus more because he pulled me through when I didn't even realize the magnitude of what I got myself into. Then it hit me, I am responsible for someone's life. Another person depends on ME for EVERYTHING. Talk about a wake up call. Shortly after I rose from from the welfare rolls to the Bar Association, from the Friend of Court to matrimony..lol.. Weeping endured for many many nights but faith goes a long long way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanx so much for your comment Soror Tie! I'm so BLESSED to have you as my prophyte bookie

    ReplyDelete